Saturday, July 2, 2011

"Metamethod part 2" a short section of an essay

This short section wraps up my ideas on having a METAMETHOD, or a method for making the methods of life. I look a little at the methods I’ve used lately. The next section will be about the metaphor mind.

Take care, Caretakers!

 

Daniel Christopher June

====================================

 

 

 

 

3. Metamethod (part 2)

 

Michelangelo - Rebellious Slave.JPG

            When the eyes stare at the same object too long, the physical eyes as well as the mental, they grows accustomed to it, and take that object as a norm. The experience of an object is the mind in the shape of it, so the more it grows familiar with an object – say, the object of the work place, or the marriage, or the personal dispute, or some sport, or a friend, or a mood – the more that object becomes the norm and standard. Decorate cakes all day, and for the first few weeks on the job, you get flashes in your imagination of mistakes you’ve made, even when you’re at home mowing your lawn, or in bed reading Whitman, or taking a shower. It is as if the version of me as decorator were a sculpture, a living sculpture I put on at work, and slowly I hammer its gross shape, and then chisel away the fine detail, with my mind slowly internalizing all the nuances of the job as quickly as possible, and yet letting my perfectionism have full swing, doing everything in the best form I can, inventing proper form for myself, and working finer and finer at exactitude. Now that I am home, when I blink, I see cakes. When I return to my real being as writer, there is still frosting on my fingers. New to the job, I must stress over the criticisms and complaints of my boss and coworkers; only when I have fully internalized them and know how to match, appease, or flaunt expectations will I have mastered them.

            For wisdom, stupidity is as necessary as intelligence. To go slowly, to make every step conscious, is to put the new habit into the hands of the clumsy but ambitious mind. Only if you are humble enough to be stupid can you become wise enough to be proud. Train yourself to look at a thing. The basis of study skills, of intelligence, is in mastering the eyes, to teach them not to blink – I mean this literally as well as figuratively – to keep your eye on the ball, even though the shock of contact would make you wince. Knowing how to keep your eyes focused, to look the problem with level interest, to peer into the soul of form, is the secret of intelligence: the mind follows the eyes.

            When you meditate in front of the mirror, note how your eyes move in response to ideas. The mind learns focus from the play of the eyes.

 

~~

Perfection

Is

Easy

 

perfectidius.com

~~

tweetpic

 

No comments: